今天朋友告訴我一則在yahoo news刊出的新聞
新聞內容如下:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Keep those sugarless treats out of Fido's reach.
Veterinarians warned on Friday that a commonly used sweetener might
cause liver failure in dogs, and perhaps even kill them.

Their report in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
appears to strengthen the suspected link between the sugar substitute xylitol,
thought to make dogs sick, and possible liver failure.

Xylitol, a naturally occurring product, is found in many sugar-free chewing gums,
candies, baked goods and toothpastes.

Researchers Sharon Gwaltney-Brant and Eric Dunayer with staff at a poison
unit of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Urbana,
Illinois, gathered information on eight dogs treated between 2003 and 2005
after eating products containing xylitol.

Each dog became ill, and five died or had to be put down because of liver failure,
possibly from ingesting xylitol.

One dog who had to be euthanized had eaten four large,
chocolate-frosted muffins containing about 1 pound (0.45 kg) of xylitol.

"People don't think sugar-free gum can kill their dog.
I didn't before I got into this. But this is something people should be aware of,"
Gwaltney-Brant, who co-authored the study with Dunayer, said in a statement.

Gwaltney-Brant said for dogs, ingesting even a small amount of xylitol
can trigger significant insulin release, which drops their blood sugar
and can be fatal.

"A 22-pound (10-kg) dog who consumes one gram (0.03 ounces) of xylitol
should be treated," she said, adding that further studies were needed to
definitely establish a cause-and-effect relationship.

註:Xylitol就是木糖醇,
木糖醇是一種食物添加劑,外貌和味道跟白糖相似,但含熱量只是碳水化合物的四成左右,
每克只有二點四卡路里,是代糖類產品。木糖醇由六O年代起在美國應用,至今已有四十多年歷史。
研究人員更指出木糖醇能減少蛀牙,此發現並得到六個國家的牙醫學會認可。

認識木糖醇的消費者應該不會很多,因為它不過是一種代糖和添加劑,
不是消費者日常接觸的食物和品牌。但添加了木糖醇的香口糖,
則令香口糖有了新的賣點 ── 每日三至五次的香口糖,內含四克以上木糖醇的話,
則有保護牙齒免被蛀蝕的功能。
而且效果持久,經過多年測試,證明曾咀嚼木糖醇者可得甚佳的保護作用。



請大家一定要小心,
不要讓狗狗吃到”Xylitol”
坊間有些標示”sugar free”的食物,
裡面甜味的來源就是”Xylitol”,
一點點的”Xylitol”就會刺激狗狗大量分泌胰島素,
造成血糖過低,
最後會導致肝衰竭..
另外一點也要提醒大家:
很多人會拿"人用"的牙膏幫狗狗刷牙"
這也相當於讓狗狗吃進了"Xylitol"

嚇死人了..
之前有兩次,
我把嚼過後的口香糖用衛生紙包好,
因為沒有馬上丟到垃圾桶,
被”酷愛”衛生紙的MOMO拿去吃掉了,
我的媽啊..
現在才知道”Xylitol”的可怕性..
也請各位"家長"隨時注意家中物品的擺放,
會造成狗狗傷害的東西都要收好喔~~

    全站熱搜

    honeymomo 發表在 痞客邦 留言(6) 人氣()